Ursuline monastery and Church of the Birth of Jesus
The Ursuline nuns come from Bratislava to Varaždin in 1703 at the invitation of Magdalena Drašković. There she had a daughter who was an Ursuline, Anna Julijana. The Ursuline nuns, with their arrival, contributed to the education of the female youth as well as to the preservation of the sacral treasure. Shortly after their arrival, the Church of the Birth of Jesus was completed in 1729. The church tower, 44 m high, is considered one of the most beautiful in the city. On the magnificent baroque facade of the church are statues of two angels, and statues of St. John Nepomuk and St. Francis Xavier.
The interior of the church is decorated in Baroque style, dominated by a central altar with a high-relief depiction of the birth of Jesus surrounded by statues of St. Ignatius of Loyola and St. Francis Xavier.
Next to the tabernacle there are statues of St. Ursula and St. Angela Merici, founders of the Ursuline Order. In the church there is a statue of the Mother of Mercy (Mary with Jesus), thanks to which the faithful have received many graces. The statue is believed to be the gift of a priest who found it damaged in a field where it was hidden from the Turks.
On the right side of the church is a sarcophagus with the earthly remains of the Ursuline Klaudija Boellein from Đakovo, who died on the trail of holiness, and today many believers pray to her.
In the side chapel on the left is a baroque statue of St. John of Nepomuk, below which stands a valuable relic of St. Victoria, a Roman martyr from the 3rd century.